directory-users mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Integration test with Apache Directory server
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:51:27 GMT
On 3/20/07, Ceki Gülcü <listid@qos.ch> wrote:

> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> I'd be happy to any questions you have about logback. Given that you are
> already using SLF4J, using logback as your underlying logging system
> should
> be extremely easy. Logback implements the SLF4J API natively. So, if you
> are using logback you have go through SLF4J. The inverse is obviously not
> true.
>
> So in your case, you have to declare logback as a dependency in the
> pom.xml
> file of your project and include a config file (logback.xml). However,
> since logback is licensed under LGPL, ASF's licensing policy will not
> allow
> Apache DS to depend on  logback. So, I guess logback is not an option
> after
> all.

Arghhh... Too bad... This is something I don't really understand, and
something which hit OSS in the back : why the hell do we have so many
licenses, and so many incompatible licenses ?

However, now, the main problem is : How compatible are LGPL and ASL 2.0 ? As
far as I can check, ASL is *not* compatible with GPL, but for LGPL, this
might be another story. Ok, this is something I gonna discuss further during
Apache conference in may.

Thanks Ceki !

Emmanuel
PS: double licenses would be a big plus for logback ;)

Bummer.

--
Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny