directory-users mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <lis...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Using Logback for ApacheDS (Was: Re: Integration test with Apache Directory server)
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2007 21:00:36 GMT
At 05:01 AM 3/21/2007, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>Youch!  Why the switch to LGPL for Logback?  Yeah you're right we definitely
>
>cannot use it :(.

OK, this one gets asked frequently. Basically, the license change is to
emphasize that logback is a new and different project. Other than that, I
find conditions of the LGPL fairly reasonable, but again I am certainly not
an expert.

>Also now with Logback what will happen to SLF4J?  Rather I mean the other
>implementations of SLF4J?  Just wondering what the support will be like now
>for SLF4J implementations.

SLF4J has the backing of a large user-community, not as large as say JCL,
but quite large nonetheless. So, SLF4J is here to stay. As for SLF4J
bindings other than logback, they all enjoy equal footing. Feature requests
or bug reports for wrapped bindings, namely slf4j-log4j12, slf4j-jdk14 and
jdk-over-slf4j get the same amount of attention. As for logback, it is
totally aligned on the SLF4J API. However, it does not mean that the other
SLF4J bindings are not supported. I dare to say that support for the 3
wrapped bindings was always fairly good and is likely to remain so in the
future.

I won't go into the reasons about why logback is better because that's not
what you asked. :-)

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://logback.qos.ch