directory-users mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Integration test with Apache Directory server
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2007 19:34:03 GMT

Hi Justen,

 > Avoid using 'odd' libraries like nlog4j, from what I can see after
 > trying to resolve these issues through Google, the API is not likely
 > to just spin it's wheels only having boutique integrations. The easier
 > something is to integrate the more likely it is to be used. A perfect
 > example of this is how unit test can be integrated with JUnit and I
 > will no longer need and external OpenLDAP server.

I am sorry to hear that you are had trouble using nlog4j. Nlog4j has
been superceded by logback, which like nlog4j, implements the SLF4J
interface natively. Thus, it is very easy to switch from nlog4j
(assuming you were using the SLF4J interface) to logback, log4j12 or
JDK14 logging.

Starting with SLF4J 1.3, depending on SLF4J means depending on
slf4j-api without any implementation imposed on the end user.

Here is a quote from the release notes:

  Release 1.3.0 consists of rearrangement of classes among
  projects. More specifically, the org.slf4j.LoggerFactory class is now
  packaged within the slf4j-api.jar file instead of the various slf4j
  bindings. It follows that client code needs to depend on only
  slf4j-api in order to compile, while the various slf4j bindings are
  only needed as runtime dependencies. See also the Maven2-related FAQ [1]
  entry. Given the practical significance of this change, we highly
  recommend that library-authors upgrade to version 1.3.0 at their
  earliest convenience.

Thus, I would suggest that Apache DS upgrade to SLF4J 1.3.0 so as to
offer more liberty and comfort to your end-users.

I hope this helps,

[1] http://www.slf4j.org/faq.html#maven2

-- Ceki Gülcü
http://logback.qos.ch