directory-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Example Embedded WebApp not Persisting Directory Modifications
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 13:15:53 GMT
BPair@EvergreenInvestments.com wrote:
> I am using the example embedded directory code. I am up and running but my
> additions to the directory are not being persisted. If I shutdown JBoss
> and restart the additions are gone. I am configuring the server in the
> StartStopListener but am unsure how to fix this behavior.
>
> I see these methods such as shutdownHookEnabled but am unsure what that
> does or what the default setting is.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

First of all please keep in mind that this generic example has proof of
concept character. For JBoss for instance, a better integration exists
in the form of a sar-module.

Now your problem. I have an idea.

I have tested the webapp-example with several other AppServers (Tomcat
WebSphere, Jetty). The changes have been persisted, but this may not be
the case for all servers. The reason is the option I have chosen for the
working directory (which stores the JDBM files with your partitions). In
the example code it is a temporary directory provided by the app server.

File workingDir = (File) servletContext.getAttribute
("javax.servlet.context.tempdir");
MutableServerStartupConfiguration cfg =
     new MutableServerStartupConfiguration();
cfg.setWorkingDirectory(workingDir);

Unfortunately it is not guaranteed by the servlet specification, that a
web application gets the same directory after a restart, and that it is
untouched ...

How about trying to programmaticaly select another directory and see
whether changes are saved between restarts.

Greetings from Hamburg,
     Stefan