directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Integration test with Apache Directory server
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2007 08:42:20 GMT
Hi Justen,

Justen Stepka a écrit :

> Today I sat down and started doing integration test with Apache DS
> 1.0.1 following the approach laid out in this article:
>

> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.0/using-apacheds-for-unit-tests.html

I hope that the article was helpfull.

> Out of the gate I ran into an issue with nlog4j getting an
> IncompatibleClassChangeError exception which took bit of time to
> resolve. I read for a while on mail archives finding the proposed
> solution is to do 'some excluding with maven2 of slf4j'.
>
> To resolve this I have organized our maven2 pom.xml as such:

<snip/>

> Hopefully this helps for the next person. The Apache DS server project
> is really going make a difference around here and hope more people use
> it when testing their LDAP connectors.
>
> For the Apache DS team I have a few quick comments that may or may not
> help to make things easier in the future:
>
> Turn on comments for most of your documentation pages
> (http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.0/). Once problems/bugs are
> fixed remove the comments or fold the suggestions into the
> documentation. Often users who can immediately comment on something
> are more likely to help than emailing a list or filing a bug report. A
> great example of this would be the MySQL project documentation.

Seems a pretty good idea. We have already a little light grey icon on
the top right to each page to edit the page, but I don't know if it's
available to users. We will check that.

> Avoid using 'odd' libraries like nlog4j, from what I can see after
> trying to resolve these issues through Google, the API is not likely
> to just spin it's wheels only having boutique integrations. The easier
> something is to integrate the more likely it is to be used. A perfect
> example of this is how unit test can be integrated with JUnit and I
> will no longer need and external OpenLDAP server.

The Logger problem has been discussed 2 years ago, and it's not really
an easy one. We have had some problem with Jboss integration, and I
think we will still have some more with other project already using
another log system in the near future. NLog4j is supposed to be
compatible with other systems, and we didn't want to switch to clog. We
have to reconsider the whole stuff, because it's something very
unpleasant that users have problem with such a low level piece of software.

Thanks for the feedback, let us know if you have any other problem.

Just a last question : what are you using ADS for ?

--
Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny