directory-users mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DS on z/OS
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:26:36 GMT
On 2/11/07, Juergen Weber <weberjn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi

I tried to run DS on z/OS : it runs. 8-)

That's a great news :) Not sure that a M$ .net based Directory Server could
have succeeded ;)

z/OS uses EBCDIC as default char set, so I/O by default is in EBCDIC.
> To avoid having to translate Ascii-based LDAP protocol, you have to run
> DS as Ascii, this means, all I/O from the VM is done in Ascii.

> This script does the trick:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/java14/J1.4
>
> CP="."
>
> for f in lib/*.jar
> do
>         CP="$CP:$f"
> done
> for f in bin/*.jar
> do
>         CP="$CP:$f"
> done
> echo $CP
> $JAVA_HOME/bin/java -Xnoargsconversion -Dfile.encoding=ISO8859-1
> -Dconsole.encoding=IBM-1047
> -Dlog4j.configuration=conf/log4j.properties -classpath $CP
> org.apache.directory.server.UberjarMain conf/server.xml
>
> I also got it to work with 1.5, but then I had to remove the encoding
> from server.xml

At this point, a question would be : what can we do to guarantee that ADS
can be distributed as a package running on z/OS. The problem is that we
don't have IBM computers nor z/OS system available to do some tests.
I would suggest that you propose a patch for the scripts and server.xml to
make them z/OS friendly, so that we can test it on Linux/Unix platforms.
This patch should not break our current packages, so it will have to check
the local system to set some properties. It might be necessary to handle the
server.xml encoding through a little bit of sed (we still have to check the
reason why z/OS does not support UTF-8 on top of the server.xml).

Do you think this is something you can do? Otherwise, I guess you will have
to handle your own post-installation modifications...

Feel free to give us some feedback, I'm sure that we can find the best way
to have a z/OS-Linux common script !

PS: such a good news a monday morning is really great :)
--
Cordialement,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny