directory-users mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Microsoft AD
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 15:13:09 GMT
On 2/1/07, Elie Ciment <eciment@gmail.com> wrote:

> Aha. Any suggested code to get me started? Say, using JNDI. I don't know
> much about LDAP or JNDI; what I do know is that I can access AD through
> Java, because I have opened up the LDAPBrowser in Eclipse and can see
> everything.

the best place to get a quick start is :
http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/tutorial/

This tutorial is really good, and will allow you to write your first
requests very fast and easily.

My problem is that I am not looking for a browser, but rather for the
> functionality of the browser. I want to be able to take an invrentory of the
> network based on the entries found in Active Directory - which means, I will
> need to provide (within the Web based app I am writing) a view of the
> hierarchy/architecture of the Directory and let the administrator choose
> exactly which OUs to scan for computers/workstations.

I understand. Anyway, I do think that JNDI is the way to go. JNDI is the
standard LDAP API (not only Ldap, but that's another story), as JDBC is for
DataBase. Any other API will be specific, and the number of people being
able to give you an hand will be less important. You have many mailing lists
where you can post a question about JNDI, only one for ADS, and we are only
a few being able to help you :(

Anything to get me started would really be a big help, with all your
> expertise in the matter. You are definitely correct in saying that using a
> GUI's undocumented API (or even if it were documented) to try and accomplish
> the task of simply querying AD might not be the way to go, but I don't know
> exactly what is the way to go.

JNDI Tutorial, trust me. Not that I wan't to dump you, but even ADS is based
on JNDI as an API to send requests to it. LdapStudio is even more
complicated : requests are first converted to DSML, then to an internal
format, then translated to byte[], and sent to the server using a socket.
i'm not sure you want to handle all these dirty tricks, aren't you ?

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it. And, yes, I do know that this is
> all on a volunteer basis; what I meant was that the community (in other
> projects and I am sure here as well) is always on hand and really passionate
> about the project on which they work. I myself have answered (asked more
> than answered) questions posed on various mailing lists. Needless to say, I
> do not always have the answers, but I understand that this is not something
> you are paid to do - that makes it all the more appreciated.

That's my pleasure !

Emmanuel

Thanks,
> EC
>
> On 2/1/07, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > oops. I guess I just click on reply...
> >
> > I don't know... It has worked for me a few minutes ago. The sad point is
> > that apacheds-tools is buggy on the nighty build. I just opened an issue
> > about it :
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-838
> >
> > On 2/1/07, Elie Ciment < eciment@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > By the way, I just realized - yo replied to me personally, and not the
> > > user list.
> > >
> > > And, once I've got you - I can't seem to download the nightly from
> > > iktek - it just hangs for a while. Any ideas?
> > >
> > > -EC

Eclipse

Studio

--