directory-users mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: Microsoft AD
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 14:31:55 GMT
I forget to push this mail to the users ML. Done now

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>
Date: Feb 1, 2007 3:08 PM
Subject: Re: Microsoft AD
To: Elie Ciment <eciment@gmail.com>

So, I cannot use LDAPStudio classes for querying AD, and I should use
> OpenLDAP or JNDI?

Well, LdapStudio is meant to be a GUI, not an API, so if you want to use its
code base to qyuey any ldap server, you will have to go deep into the code
to do it. Of course this is possible, but this is not really the simplest
way to go...

The reason I wanted to use Apache Directory (LDAPStudio) classes is because
> as an ASF project I know that there was a lot of thought put into the design
> of the code and that there will be an active mailing list for support when
> needed.

Sure :) But it was not inended to be used the way you want. Anyway, it can
be done. Let me find the place in the code where we build the ldap messages
and send them to the server... (will take a little while)

I feel that with all open source projects in the ASF you can turn to them
> for help and somebody's always there for you.

well, that's not exactly how it works :) but basically, you can push a mail,
and if somebody has an answer, you will get it ... Remember that people at
apache are all volunteers, and are also pretty busy ;)

In addition, Apache will go through the trouble of finding the right code to
> use, ie OpenLDAP and JNDI. So, using those classes that Apache builds which
> make the most of the underlying classes - much better than a beginner would
> - I would love to just take a pre-bundled project that is easy to use.

Not sure that they are easy to use at all... (and I'm not really proud of
this, as I wrote part of them ...) At some point, we should provide a kind
of API like JLdap is.

Remember that any API has a learning curve, and you won't avoid to spend
some time on it. Apache won't do this for you :)

Does that make sense?

--
Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny