directory-users mailing list archives

From "Elie Ciment" <ecim...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: Microsoft AD
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 14:36:52 GMT
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>
Date: Feb 1, 2007 9:32 AM
Subject: Fwd: Microsoft AD
To: users@directory.apache.org

Also forward this mail to users ML

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Elie Ciment <eciment@gmail.com>
Date: Feb 1, 2007 3:28 PM
Subject: Re: Microsoft AD
To: elecharny@iktek.com

Aha. Any suggested code to get me started? Say, using JNDI. I don't know
much about LDAP or JNDI; what I do know is that I can access AD through
Java, because I have opened up the LDAPBrowser in Eclipse and can see
everything.

My problem is that I am not looking for a browser, but rather for the
functionality of the browser. I want to be able to take an invrentory of the
network based on the entries found in Active Directory - which means, I will
need to provide (within the Web based app I am writing) a view of the
hierarchy/architecture of the Directory and let the administrator choose
exactly which OUs to scan for computers/workstations.

Anything to get me started would really be a big help, with all your
expertise in the matter. You are definitely correct in saying that using a
GUI's undocumented API (or even if it were documented) to try and accomplish
the task of simply querying AD might not be the way to go, but I don't know
exactly what is the way to go.

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it. And, yes, I do know that this is
all on a volunteer basis; what I meant was that the community (in other
projects and I am sure here as well) is always on hand and really passionate
about the project on which they work. I myself have answered (asked more
than answered) questions posed on various mailing lists. Needless to say, I
do not always have the answers, but I understand that this is not something
you are paid to do - that makes it all the more appreciated.

Thanks,
EC

> oops. I guess I just click on reply...
>
> I don't know... It has worked for me a few minutes ago. The sad point is
> that apacheds-tools is buggy on the nighty build. I just opened an issue
> about it :
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-838
>
> On 2/1/07, Elie Ciment < eciment@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > By the way, I just realized - yo replied to me personally, and not the
> > user list.
> >
> > And, once I've got you - I can't seem to download the nightly from iktek
> > - it just hangs for a while. Any ideas?
> >
> > -EC
> >
> > On 2/1/07, Elie Ciment <eciment@gmail.com > wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help. I'll check out the others, now, I guess...
> > >
> > > Thanks!

Apache

--
Cordialement,