directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DS on z/OS
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:52:05 GMT
Juergen Weber a écrit :

> On 2/12/07, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> At this point, a question would be : what can we do to guarantee that
>> can be distributed as a package running on z/OS. The problem is that we
>> don't have IBM computers nor z/OS system available to do some tests.
>> I would suggest that you propose a patch for the scripts and
>> server.xml to
>> make them z/OS friendly, so that we can test it on Linux/Unix platforms.
>

> Well, from a (pure) Java point of view z/OS is just a usual unix, the
> only exception being that default IO encoding is EBCDIC. But if you
> set the system properties I gave the VM runs in ascii and everything
> is the same (almost as the XML problem shows).
>
> But generally, if a Java program runs fine in an IBM JDK in Linux or
> Windows, it should run on z/OS with Ascii IO, too.
>
> IBM JDKs are at
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/download.html
> for Windows you can download DB2 Express-C, it contains a 1.5 level JDK
>
> As for the native starter, we shall see. Usually C code will port, too.
>
> I am not a great friend of the graphical installer, I very much prefer
> Tomcat's tar -xf installer.

We have this task on our roadmap, for sure. It's just a matter of time...

> A server should install without a gui.

100% agreed

> z/OS Java does support X, but
> contrary to IBM's lore the CPU's are much slower than Pentiums an CPU
> time is shared between lots fo users. E.g. an openldap configure and
> build takes at least an hour...
> So a resource-inintensive install would be very much preferable.

I don't think it is something difficult. I have worked on such
autoinstall scripts years ago, and I must say that it's really simple to
do. I may try to find the few hours necessary to draft something for
this task.

>> This patch should not break our current packages, so it will have to
>> check
>> the local system to set some properties. It might be necessary to
>> handle the
>

> I am not sure if I understand this, could you give a pointer, where
> this check happens?

Sorry, what I meant was that the script should do something like :
 if running on z/OS
  then
    set z/OS properties
else if running on mac OS/X
  then ...

All the properties should be common, and the script should work on every
Unix/Linux familly. W$ is another beast ;)

>> server.xml encoding through a little bit of sed (we still have to
>> check the
>> reason why z/OS does not support UTF-8 on top of the server.xml).
>>
>> Do you think this is something you can do? Otherwise, I guess you
>> will have
>> to handle your own post-installation modifications...
>

> I can try.

That would be just great !

Thanks a lot, Jürgen !