directory-users mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JDBC/Derby backend
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2007 22:26:37 GMT
Juergen Weber wrote:

>> BTW I inquired about using Derby with Debrunner a few years ago at an
>> AC.  He basically stated that it would be a bad move since Derby would
>> be challenged to deal with hierarchies.
>
> Well, IBM's LDAP Server for z/OS does use DB2 as backend and it's very
> fast.

Great! Are you interested in writing a JDBC based backend to do this?  I
could lend you a hand if you're interested in playing with the idea.

I could help submit your patches until you gain karma.

> Of course you have to map hierarchical data structures to tables but
> IBM showed that this is possible.

Yes it is completely possible yet not very efficient but it's worth a
try.  Let's give it a shot.  You interested?

> A JDBC backend for DS could combine fast Java network and data
> structure handling with a fast Enterprise DBMS.
>
> For embedded use Derby should serve well.
>
> End of '05 I ran some transaction tests against Derby and got about 20
> TX/sec on my PC which seemed very fast to me.
> As transactions are not very important for LDAP servers, only read
> performance would matter.
> It would definitely be interesting to have numbers for Berkeley DB
> (which of course is not relational).

We used to use BDB with the JNI interface until we found out that jdbm
was much faster without having to double copy buffers going across the
JNI interface.

I bet JE is much better than JDBM but we cannot use it here at the ASF.
  Perhaps later we will write a new more improved partition (backend)
implementation at safehaus using JE because of these licensing issues.

Regards,
Alex