directory-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <szoer...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JDBC/Derby backend
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2007 21:07:37 GMT
Hi Juergen!

Juergen Weber wrote:
> Well, IBM's LDAP Server for z/OS does use DB2 as backend and it's very
> fast.

The same is true for this product on other platforms (IBM Tivoli
Directory Server is available for Solaris, Windows, ...). A major
advantage is that the LDAP server inherits some nice DB2 properties
(high availabilty features, distribution) especially on AIX.

> Of course you have to map hierarchical data structures to tables but
> IBM showed that this is possible.

ApacheDS architecture is quite flexible and allows you to extend the
server with your own partition implementations.

We had several questions about a JDBC or Derby partition the last
months. From my point of view it would be nice to have a JDBC partition
(reasonable/performant or not), for instance as an example on how to
write your own partition.

Unfortunately, our resources are limited (all volunteers). Currently
ather things have a higher priority. But contributions are always
appreciated. Perhaps you would like to share your experiences with
ApacheDS on z/OS, as well.

Greetings from Hamburg,
     Stefan

---8<---