directory-users mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Startup without binary; Derby backend
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:35:20 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Juergen Weber a écrit :
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> can you startup apacheds without the native binary?
>
> The short answer is : yes.
>
>> I'd like to try ds
>> on z/OS where there is no binary.
>
>> And what is the point of making Java unportable with a native starter?
>
> The point is that it can be run as a daemon, which is really much simple.

The jsvc and procrun code was originally developed by the tomcat folks
and this is what we used instead of java wrapper to make ApacheDS into a
native service on windows or (daemon) *NIX.

You can run ApacheDS easily though by just doing a:

	server.init debug

instead of a 'start' command.

>> In the quickstarting guide there should be a hint how to start ds on
>> unix without root install, i.e. without the init.d scripts.
>
> Yes, this is missing. Any volunteer to fulfill this task will be
> welcomed :) (anyway, you also might fill a JIRA issue requesting for
> this tutorial, so we will have it somwhere in our roadmap)

Yeah good idea but the best thing is just to use server-main which can
build you a nice assembly instead of dealing with a gazillion jars.

See the following:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/apacheds/branches/1.0/server-main/

I think just running the shell script will build the assembly if not
present and running the assembly jar is trivial if you look inside this
dumb script.

>> Has anybody tried a Derby backend for ds?

BTW I inquired about using Derby with Debrunner a few years ago at an
AC.  He basically stated that it would be a bad move since Derby would
be challenged to deal with hierarchies.

> Nope.
>
>> Derby is included in Java 1.6
>
> We are not using Java 1.6 currently. And using Derby as a backend might
> be a limitation.

I agree and that's why I have not bothered yet.

Alex