directory-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Startup without binary; Derby backend
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2007 23:50:22 GMT
Juergen Weber a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> can you startup apacheds without the native binary?

The short answer is : yes.

> I'd like to try ds
> on z/OS where there is no binary.

> And what is the point of making Java unportable with a native starter?

The point is that it can be run as a daemon, which is really much simple.

> In the quickstarting guide there should be a hint how to start ds on
> unix without root install, i.e. without the init.d scripts.

Yes, this is missing. Any volunteer to fulfill this task will be
welcomed :) (anyway, you also might fill a JIRA issue requesting for
this tutorial, so we will have it somwhere in our roadmap)

> Has anybody tried a Derby backend for ds?

Nope.

> Derby is included in Java 1.6

We are not using Java 1.6 currently. And using Derby as a backend might
be a limitation.

> Unfortunately the backend tutorial isn't written yet, is it?

Nope... Volunteers ?

> I did not find a source download, isn't there?

You can check out the sources :
http://directory.apache.org/community%26resources/sources.html

We might create a tar ball with soucres soon. Lack of time ...

> Thanks,
> Juergen

Emmanuel