directory-users mailing list archives

From "Juergen Weber" <webe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DS on z/OS
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:18:16 GMT
Hi,

JSVC could probably be compiled on z/OS, there is a c89 and c99
compiler, even if buildconf probably would have to be done with a
Linux autoconf.
But JSVC is not the way to go for z/OS, there is already a C-language
launcher for Java called JZOS Batch Toolkit. This originally was free
(but not OS I think) software, but then bought by IBM.
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/software/java/jzos/overview.html

The JZOS launcher is well integrated with z/OS systems management and
very much recommended in IBM literature recently.

(The term batch in z/OS also means detached from a terminal, i.e.
exactly what a server
("started task" in z/OS speak) is. )

So I think, JZOS + a pure Java DS Version were the way to go for a z/OS distro.

As for packaging, tar.gz would be fine, IBM themselves use it for
their open source ports
(e.g. see php or zip at
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/unix/bpxa1toy.html)

As for identifying z/OS in scripts: