directory-users mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Documentation?
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 16:24:11 GMT
José González Gómez wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was very excited when I saw the directory project just released the
> 1.0version. I was trying to achieve the same kind of thing using a lot
> of open
> source products (OpenLDAP, BIND, Heimdal,...) so when I saw one single
> server providing all of this and letting you manage all these aspects of a
> network in a centralized manner I thought it was a dream come true.
>
> Unfortunately, after installing it, I'm totally lost: I've browsed the web,
> the wiki, javadocs and the documentation bundled in the release, and I
> can't
> seem to find a word about how to configure all the services, or create
> entries to support those services. All I have been able to do is install
> it,
> start it, and connect to the directory using JXplorer just to confirm the
> LDAP service is running. Am I missing anything? How are you supposed to
> configure those modules/services?

Right now 3 protocols (4 if you count LDAPS) work.  Kerberos, ChangePW,
and LDAP.  LDAP is the most mature of course.

The DNS sort of can work.  DHCP has a long way to go.

For configuring the Kerberos and changepw stuff you might want to look
here for the properties that you'll need to add to the environment
section of the server.xml:

http://docs.safehaus.org/display/APACHEDS/Kerberos+Server+Configuration

For more info on Kerberos:

http://docs.safehaus.org/display/APACHEDS/Kerberos+Protocol+Provider
http://docs.safehaus.org/display/APACHEDS/Secure+Single+Sign-On+with+Apache+Directory+and+Apache+Kerberos
http://docs.safehaus.org/display/APACHEDS/Kerberos+Schema+Attributes

For more info on Changepw:

http://docs.safehaus.org/display/APACHEDS/Change+Password+Protocol+Provider
http://docs.safehaus.org/display/APACHEDS/Change+Password+Configuration
http://docs.safehaus.org/display/APACHEDS/Changing+Passwords+with+Windows+2003

Jose we need your help with this product as both a user and hopefully a
contributor/committer.  Right now the support for non LDAP protocols is
pretty bad and as you can see the documentation is dispursed.

We'd love to have you involved.

Thanks,
Alex