directory-kerby mailing list archives

From "Zheng, Kai" <kai.zh...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] - Release Apache Kerby 1.0.0 (take II)
Date Wed, 17 May 2017 21:42:13 GMT
>> I think Kerby is a promising project, but I don't think it has the community yet to
justify being a TLP.
Yeah, Kerberos isn't the cool thing that many developers are eager to work on. There are many
reasons. So we probably shouldn't expect a large community for this, it may never happen.

On the other hand, here is the community, as the Apache Directory community. If we have a
TLP, we can duplicate the PMCs and committers. Kerby itself does have already diverse committers.

My two cents. The question is, would a TLP make Kerby and Directory more healthy, or make
us more happy, or make new contributors more easy? Simpler, if a TLP can help build and attract
a better community for Kerby, we probably should go.

Thanks Colm for the work to use Kerby in other ASF projects. It does help. I thought we folks
here could be able to build a better ecosystem in the security domain for Apache world, we
have LDAP and Kerberos, the security basics, the very good base. IMO, we should have quite
a few TLP projects around the two basics, instead of ONE monster of so many children projects
all here together, looking at the Directory hope page. If I'm a developer and want to contribute
to Kerby, I would be frustrated to figure out the right ML, the right REPO and the right relationship/deps
with other components.

Kerby should have the potential, Directory and big data projects can use it. The question
is, will a TLP make Kerby next solid step?

Regards,
Kai