directory-kerby mailing list archives

From "Zheng, Kai" <kai.zh...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Prepare for 1.0.0-RC3
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2016 08:54:56 GMT
Maybe we could release this version as 1.0.0 directly? Any concern? I don't see any. We could
claim the authorization feature and remote kadmin support as [EXPERIMENTAL].

Sorry too busy recently and don't have bandwidth on this. Hope it can move forward anyway.

Regards,
Kai

-----Original Message-----
From: Emmanuel Lécharny [mailto:elecharny@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 3:20 PM
To: kerby@directory.apache.org
Subject: Re: Prepare for 1.0.0-RC3

Le 27/07/16 à 08:52, Li, Jiajia a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> March 13, the 1.0.0-RC2 of Kerby was released. We're thinking about a new Kerby release(RC3).
> From Mar 13 to Jul 27, 60 JIRA issues were resolved, including following important features:
>
> 1. Kerby authorization support. Gerard and Richard provided the large
> patch 2. XDR support 3. Some remote kadmin API(add, delete and list)
> 4. Some important fixes for JWT pre-authentication and SimpleKdcServer
>
> I thinks the following issues should be solved before release:
> 1. Update the readme and javadoc
> 2. Do some tests of tools.
> What else did I miss here?
>
> How do you think about this?

Hi Jiajia,

this is all good news !

However, I would suggest strongly that for the next iteration of Kerby (ie, 2.0 or whatever
fits your need), you stop using RC when you add features in the project. There is nothing
wrong in releasing many incremental versions (1.0, 2.0, 3.0..., à la Firefox/Chrome), even
if it's every few months. OTOH, cutting 3 RCs with added features is conveying a mixed messages
to users.

I'm not asking Kerby people to stop doing so know, the train is already on its way, I'm just
suggesting a different approach in the near future :-)

Many thanks and keep going the good work !