directory-kerby mailing list archives

From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Release names
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2016 22:04:59 GMT
Has anyone commented that on your release naming policy? Maybe you’ve got a good reason for
including “RC” in release names, but I wanted to point out that they look strange to people.

Josh Elser just included Kerby 1.0.0-RC2 in Apache Calcite’s Avatica sub-project[1], and
my first reaction was, “Why is he including a release candidate as a dependency?” We have
a policy of not depending on release candidates or snapshots. In Apache, a release candidate
has not necessarily passed a vote, so is not necessarily “clean” from an IP standpoint.
Your releases are clean (I found the vote thread[2]) but they look “dirty”.

If you had named the release ‘1.0.1-beta’ it would have captured the fact that you viewed
it as beta quality but still distinguished it from other releases and the release candidate(s)
of that release.

Julian

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-1184 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-1184>

[2] https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/directory-dev/201603.mbox/%3C9037BCED616A964EB486B12FCA9DCFCF03B18752@shsmsx102.ccr.corp.intel.com%3E