directory-kerby mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <m...@stefan-seelmann.de>
Subject Re: About release note
Date Mon, 18 Jan 2016 06:56:08 GMT
On 01/17/2016 11:33 PM, Zheng, Kai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From users' point of view, for a release, they may want to know what's exactly released.
I reviewed the release process and artifacts for the first one RC1, it looks like we're not
clear about this. So come to the upcoming RC2 release, how to distinguish it from the before?
I guess we'll need to document well, having something like release note or history. We'll
need to sort out what features to include in the list that we claim they're ready and available
for use or experimental. Just some thoughts, and welcome feedback. Thanks.

In other Directory projects we use Jira to generate RN. If you go to
"Change Log" [1] or "Road Map" [2] you see the versions, the included
issues, and there is also a link "Release Notes". This requires that the
"Fix versions" field is properly maintained. We then take those RN and
put it into the announce mail and on the website [3][4].

However I'm not always happy with what Jira generates. Often the issue
title is not really descriptive. And issues like "Fix findbugs problem"
is not interesting from a user POV. But at least you can use it as base
for a hand-written release notes.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1]