directory-kerby mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: kadmin-remote branch
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2016 10:22:05 GMT
Le 11/01/16 10:56, Zheng, Kai a écrit :
>>> Even if it's a brand new piece of code, I don't see why it should be seggregated
to a branch, instead of being part of the trunk.
> I was surprised now you changed to think in this way, actually you said branch is cheap
in git and we should use new branches for features.

For features that need to be tested. But here, your initial message was
"kadmin-remote branch is created for the remote kadmin support work.".
Does not look like a 'feature addition' to me.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing about creating branches for
experimentation, or for fixes done on existing released, but here, it's
not clear we are in any of those two possibilities...

> If you remembered, in previous discussion before, I suggested we use trunk for development,
and cutting separate branch for RC2 release.
I don't think we need to cut a branch for a release. The maven build
*will* create them automatically. Those wanting to work on teh code
while it's being released can create a branch and merge it back to the
trunk at will.

What I don't get here is why do we need a branch for something that
deserves to be in trunk ? Or maybe it does not deserve to be in trunk,
but I don't see why. Can you explain us ?

thanks !