directory-kerby mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Communication concerns
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2015 08:19:20 GMT
Hi guys,

I'd like to express some concerns about the way the Kerby project is
currently being conducted.

The mailing list (especially this one) should (must?) be the main media
when it comes to express the direction the project is following. JIRA is
just a tool. In the last few months, I have mainly seen a lot of JIRA
being created, and even long discussions being conducted there. I do
think that such discussions should happen on the mailing list. Let me
explain why :

- JIRA gather a lot of various tickets, some are very begnin, some are
important. It's hard to distinguish between them when you have a lot of
opened JIRAs
- For exernal users, who don't have an account on JIRA, all they see is
the mailing list, and its archive. Looking at kerby ML archives, you may
think that it's a dying project :
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/directory-kerby/. The July
archive was perfect, as you can see, there were a lot of interesting
discussions going on. October, not so much...
- ML is the ASF natural interface : 'if it's not on the ML, it does not
exist" (http://apache.org/foundation/mailinglists.html) :
    "Publicly archived mailing lists are critical to the operation of
the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) and to our many Apache Projects
<http://projects.apache.org/>. Apache projects use mailing lists to
coordinate development of the software and administration of the
organization. Mailing lists also serve as a primary support channel
where users can help each other learn to use the software."
- JIRA is kind of exluding people from cooperating : one committer
creates a JIRA, then brew a fix, and apply it, then close the JIRA. This
is a one-man show, in some ways. Actually, there is nothing really bad
in that, except that most of the time, except for obvious bugs, a
feature addition or a architectural change should deserve some open
discussion, ie through the ML.

Bottom line, I think it's time to rethink the way the kerby committers
are working. I'm not blaming anyone here, I'm just saying we are driftng
from what should be the Apache Way, and it has to be addressed. At the
moment, it's just a concern *I* am having, and I may be wrong, so please
feel free to speak your mind : nobody is to blame, I'm just aimaing at
improving the potential for new committers to join the project.

Many thanks !