directory-kerby mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Kerby building fails
Date Sat, 04 Jul 2015 11:57:54 GMT
On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 3:22 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Le 04/07/15 08:44, Kiran Ayyagari a écrit :
> > On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 2:12 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> If

> >> accordingly)

> the

> that
> >> is
> >>>

> >> No, even if it's not a release : depending on a SNAPSHOT is risky. It's
> >> not like ApacheDS which depends on the API and Mavibot SNAPSHOT, because
> >> we can't imagine releasing apacheDS without releasing Mavibot and the
> >> API first. That creates a dependency on an external project that is
> >> problematic.
> >>
> >> Here, what I would suggest is to add a maven profile, so that you can
> >> build Kerby with a Mavibot SNAPSHOT, like : mvn -Pmavibot
> >>
> >> Now, I see where you are coming from, and from a develoment POV, your
> >> choice make sense. It's just that for others, it breaks the build.
> >>
> >> Here is what we should do : cut a MAVIBOT release, now. That would solve
> >> the issue.
> >>
> >> +1
> >> wdyt ?
> >>
> > we are going to release Mavibot soon anyway, I was just pointing that it
> is
> > not a blocker for
> > building kerby with mavibot module, and maven is there to solve cases
> like
> > this.
> This is not the right way to use Maven : you are just telling anyone
> that will download Kerby source that they are to tune their
> settings.xml. It's not flying !

I was just letting those new kerby developers who I think are new to maven.

> Also consider that the buldbot is failing, generating errors that we all
> receive, and we have no way to change the buildbot settings.xml.
>
> I will look into it, wonder why snapshot repo is not added by default in
the buildbot
I might just add repository tag in pom.xml to fix this for everybody

> Add a Maven profile if you are to use a Mavibot SNAPSHOT.

sorry, if I thought this is the right way to do I would have done it, but
it is counter intuitive
developers are supposed to figure out their tools and environment issues.

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com