directory-kerby mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <m...@stefan-seelmann.de>
Subject Re: Kerby coding style
Date Sun, 05 Jul 2015 09:37:36 GMT
On 07/05/2015 09:41 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> Le 05/07/15 01:36, Zheng, Kai a écrit :
>> Hi Stefan,
>>
>> Thanks for the hard work and sorting this great list out!!
>> I'm OK with your preferred options, because most time they're also mine. I'm surprised
we have so many exceptions! Just one thing, LineLength. I'm OK to use 120 for the check, but
I would suggest we should try to avoid so long lines. Yes, we should never exceed the 120
limit, and if you do, it will fail the building; meanwhile, 80 is encouraged to make it consistent
with most of existing codes.

> 80 chars line length limit is there for historical reasons : VT 100
> terminals where 25x 80 chars screen. Nowadays, even on a 15" laptop, I
> can see around 150 chars on an edited file (in eclipse), even if the
> edited file is not full screen (ie, I have the package explorer on the
> left and the Outilne on the right). 120 is really a good limit.

FTR: there are 1245 lines longer than 80 characters, when ignoring
Javadoc there are still 1043 lines longer thant 80 characters.