directory-kerby mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Kerby building fails
Date Sat, 04 Jul 2015 07:22:03 GMT
Le 04/07/15 08:44, Kiran Ayyagari a écrit :
> On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 2:12 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Le 04/07/15 07:55, Kiran Ayyagari a écrit :

If

>> accordingly)

>>> if a release version of Kerby depends on a snapshot then agree, but that
>> is
>>> not the case here
>>>

>> No, even if it's not a release : depending on a SNAPSHOT is risky. It's
>> not like ApacheDS which depends on the API and Mavibot SNAPSHOT, because
>> we can't imagine releasing apacheDS without releasing Mavibot and the
>> API first. That creates a dependency on an external project that is
>> problematic.
>>
>> Here, what I would suggest is to add a maven profile, so that you can
>> build Kerby with a Mavibot SNAPSHOT, like : mvn -Pmavibot
>>
>> Now, I see where you are coming from, and from a develoment POV, your
>> choice make sense. It's just that for others, it breaks the build.
>>
>> Here is what we should do : cut a MAVIBOT release, now. That would solve
>> the issue.
>>
>> +1
>> wdyt ?
>>
> we are going to release Mavibot soon anyway, I was just pointing that it is
> not a blocker for
> building kerby with mavibot module, and maven is there to solve cases like
> this.
This is not the right way to use Maven : you are just telling anyone
that will download Kerby source that they are to tune their
settings.xml. It's not flying !

Also consider that the buldbot is failing, generating errors that we all
receive, and we have no way to change the buildbot settings.xml.

Add a Maven profile if you are to use a Mavibot SNAPSHOT.