directory-kerby mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Kerby building fails
Date Sat, 04 Jul 2015 06:12:11 GMT
Le 04/07/15 07:55, Kiran Ayyagari a écrit :
> On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> not
>> developers
>>>>
>>> It is available in the repository
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots
>>>
>>> Those who do not want to build it locally can use this configuration
>>> http://apaste.info/qLE to set their
>>> maven setting.xml (either create new file or update existing accordingly)
>> That's not a good idea, IMO.
>>
>> both are in development, so I don't see any issue with it
>> We should never depend on a SNAPSHOT. I'd rather cut a release of
>> MAVIBOT and make Kerby depend on this release, but in the mean time, I
>> strongly suggest the module not to be added (or to be commented) in the
>> kerby build.
>>
> if a release version of Kerby depends on a snapshot then agree, but that is
> not the case here

No, even if it's not a release : depending on a SNAPSHOT is risky. It's
not like ApacheDS which depends on the API and Mavibot SNAPSHOT, because
we can't imagine releasing apacheDS without releasing Mavibot and the
API first. That creates a dependency on an external project that is
problematic.

Here, what I would suggest is to add a maven profile, so that you can
build Kerby with a Mavibot SNAPSHOT, like : mvn -Pmavibot

Now, I see where you are coming from, and from a develoment POV, your
choice make sense. It's just that for others, it breaks the build.

Here is what we should do : cut a MAVIBOT release, now. That would solve
the issue.

wdyt ?