directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheDS vs OpenDJ testing?
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2017 15:11:12 GMT

Le 28/11/2017 à 15:44, Marc Boorshtein a écrit :
> Just curious, has anyone compared the two from a performance standpoint?

No, and it's even more difficult now that OpenDJ is close source.

That being said, I know that OpenDJ is faster that ApacheDS. There are
good reasons for that :
- they are using BDB as a back end, while we are stuck with JDBM (atm)
- the way they treat entries is kind of simpler : they don't necessary
decode all the attributes, and keep them as Byte arrays. It does make
sense, as most of the attributes aren't significant when processing an
entry, especially when returning a result : you just need to send back
tehbyte[], instead of reading a byte[] from teh disk, convert it to a
String, then back to a byte[]. This is clearly an area where we can
improve ApacheDS
- We do have a lock mechanism that is antiquated and we have to review
and replace it when Mavibot will be ready. This is due to the fact that
JDBM does not support cross-Btree transactions
- The Network layer might also be improved
- The ASN.1 layer can be made faster, by around 10%. This is something I
have mesured by comparing Kerby ASN.1 implementation with ApacheDS one
- Update operations are *very* slow in ApacheDS, agan because we don't
support transactions. We also don't have a bulkloader for JDBM, which
means the initial injection of data is painfully slow.

That being said, it might be iteresting to do a bench against WrenDS (a
fork of OpenDJ : https://github.com/WrenSecurity/wrends)

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com