directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject ApacheDS cache changes
Date Sat, 04 Nov 2017 11:50:24 GMT
Hi guys,

I'm (slowly) reviewing the way we use cache in ApacheDS, as we need to
use one in Mavibot. Currently, we have a CacheService that is managing
the caches, hidding a bit of their initialization and such things.

I'm not sure it's really well implemented :

- it does not abstract the cache system we use (it's dependent on
ehcache atm)

- it just provide a way to add a cache, remove it or get it

- it depends on a configuration file on disk

The third part is really annoying, especially for those who want to
embed the system.

I do think we have all we need in teh ApacheDS configuration, ie the
cache size. We don't persist anything on disk, we don't use any specific
feature related to the cache system we use.

Here is what I suggest we do :

- make the CacheService cache agnostic : it should work with ehcahce or
any other cache system we might want to use

- mahe the Cache instance we return be an abstraction over the cache
returned by the underlying cache system

- get rid of the configuration file

I don't think it would take long, it's quite isolated in the code (and
that is the only good aspect of the cache service).

If ayone of you have some better idea, or proposal, please feel free to
express yourselves :-)

Thanks !

--
Emmanuel Lecharny