directory-dev mailing list archives

From Radovan Semancik <radovan.seman...@evolveum.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Switch to git for Apache LDAP API 2.0
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2017 07:39:15 GMT
Hi,

On 08/05/2017 09:22 AM, Brian Burch wrote:
> I've noticed all the enthusiastic +1's for this vote, so I am resigned
> to having to adapt to yet another GIT project. All I can ask is that
> someone writes a helpful wiki page for those developers who want to
> hit the ground running once the trunk has migrated. Will there be any
> gotchas associated with the transitional period?

I was using SVN almost since it was born. Even for some very large
projects. Started my own project on SVN. But that quickly reached the
SVN limits. So I was migrating the project from SVN to Git few years
ago. It went absolutely smoothly, all the history is preserved and the
whole team adapted to Git in almost no time. Git enabled a completely
new dimension of flexibility. Few months after the switch I wondered how
I could ever live with SVN ...

There is no need to be afraid. You can use Git in almost the same way as
you use SVN now. Looking back at my migration I found this to be very
useful:

https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitSvnCrashCourse

--
Radovan Semancik