directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Usage of ID like %PrefPage_StudioPage_id in plugin.xml
Date Sun, 27 Aug 2017 07:48:27 GMT
Ok, after having dig a bit more, I now understand why Pierre-Arnaud
moved those IDs to plugin.properties file.

Some IDs are used in many places, either in plugin.xml and in source
files. At some point, my guess is that it was a souce of annoyance to
change all the instances when renaming one of those ID, with a risk of
missing oen of them, leading to some errors whci cause was diffifult to
track.

The plugin.properties file is available to store some properties that
can be discovered through a call to :

    XXXPlugin.getDefault().getPluginProperties().getString( <the
property> );

(and using a %<the property> in the plugin.xml file)

It's convenient enough to use, and offers a single point where the
property is defined under a referenced name.

At this point, here is what I suggest :

- when the property is only used in ne single place (like the
Plugin_Id), we should not put it in the plugin.property.

- if a property is referenced more than once in the code, then we should
keep the property in plugin.properties

- as we may have i18ned properties, using fragments
(plugin<lang>.properties files described in the build.property file (see
below), I suggest we split the properies in two sets : the i18ned
properties, and the reference IDs.

Here is the build.properies file where the fragments are defined :

    bin.includes = META-INF/,\
               .,\
               plugin.properties,\
               plugin_fr.properties,\