directory-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse McConnell <jesse.mcconn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Project versioning and OSGi
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2017 20:36:31 GMT
Something we have learned with Jetty and our adoption of osgi versioning is
that most anything beyond normal versioning really confuses people.  We
have had an embarrassing amount of people think a M# release (supposedly
milestone) was suitable for production and that our actual releases
X.Y.Z.v20170814 looked too like a timestamp and they thought it was some
sort of maven snapshot.  I don't even want to think what people think RC#
means.  Personally I don't see how this sort of confusion is possible, but
I saw you folks messing around with osgi versioning and figured I would
chime in with some advice to keep it as simple as possible and as much as
possible remove any doubt as to what stage of development an artifact is.
Anything outside of the normal X.Y.Z and people seem to get easily confused.

And avoid P2 repositories unless you have some arcane requirement.

cheers,
Jesse

--
jesse mcconnell