directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache LDAP API 1.0.0 release
Date Sat, 03 Jun 2017 02:39:36 GMT

Le 03/06/2017 à 04:31, Brian Burch a écrit :
> On 03/06/17 12:02, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
>>
>> <snip/>
>>>
>>> I can see from the surefire JIRAs you've been onto this problem for a
>>> while, so well done for chasing it down!
>>>
>>> The 2.19.1 version is dated December 2015, which makes it pretty old.
>>> The SureFire project released a 2.20 version in April 2017. I updated
>>> my pom.xml and re-ran the install with this version - not
>>> surprisingly, the build was successful too.
>>>
>>> I'll leave it up to you to decide which version of surefire ought to
>>> be used in our official API 1.0.0. release.
>>
>> Actually, none of those versions are good to go. It's really a question
>> of luck for the build to pass - or not -.
>>

>> The maven build depends on a side project, named 'project' , that fixes
>> all the maven plugin version. If you look at
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/trunks, which pulls all the
>> subprojects (API aka shared, apacheds, mavibot and a few others), you'll
>> see that wealso pull 'project', which contains a POM file itself
>> containing :
>>
>> <plugin>
>>    <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>>    <artifactId>maven-surefire-plugin</artifactId>
>>    <version>2.19.1</version>
>>    <configuration>
>>      <argLine>-Xmx1024m</argLine>
>>    </configuration>
>> </plugin>
>>
>> I have ried with 2.18.1, same kind of (random) trouble.
>>
>> I do think we will have to wait for a 2.21 version to fix this random
>> error.
>
> So... do you propose to update the surefire version to 2.19.1 in the
> API pom.xml?

It's already using this version :-)

> I presume there will be people who might want to download and build
> the API without taking everything in the entire project. It feels
> better to me to clean it up so it could be used standalone. (Much
> simpler than having to put a caveat into the readme and then hope
> people actually read it!)

Actually, it's possible to build the API without having to set the
surefire plugin version in the pom.xml file, because it's automaically
pulled. As you can see at the top of the API pom.xml file :

  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <parent>
    <groupId>org.apache.directory.project</groupId>
    <artifactId>project</artifactId>
    <version>40</version>
    <relativePath />
  </parent>

it depends on 'project' version 40, which refers to surefire 2.19.1.

You can actualy get the effective pom to see which version of every
plugin is being sed, by running the mvn help:effective-pom at the top level.

> Either way, I'll stick with my +1 vote now this matter is cleared up.
> All my tests either pass with 2.18.1, or are explained.

Thanks !

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com