directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject ApacheDS/API/Mavibot/Fortress/Kerby/Escimo switch to Java 8 was Re: [Studio] Java 8
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2017 08:39:32 GMT
Hi guys,

I think it would make a lot of sese to switch to Java 8 for all of our
projects.

Java 7 is EOL since apr 2015, 2 years ago. That leave our users in a
situation where they potentially be put at risk, as there is no public
fixes for this Java version.

I's suggest we change all of the projects to require at least Java 8.
Note that I'm not sure we will use any of the Java 8 features any time
soon (but I see how we can leverage some of them. Lambda can be usefull
in many areas in the server, for instance). From the security POV, the
fact that TLS 1.2 is the default in Java 8 is a great plus, but there
are many other aspects in this area that will make teh server safer.

In any cases, we are already building all of the projects using Java 8
for more than a year, I don't think that could be a problem for us.

The only concern I might have would be for users stuck with Java 7, and
I would urge them to switch to a maintained version of the JVM.

do you agree ?

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com