directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <m...@stefan-seelmann.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Directory Studio 2.0.0.v20160628-M11 release
Date Sun, 17 Jul 2016 14:26:06 GMT
On 07/03/2016 11:58 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> Le 03/07/16 à 23:21, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
>>
>>> * We don't have the installers to test. Packages for all the platforms
>>> we suport should be created (.dmg, .deb, .exe, .rpm). I have created the
>>> DMG following the README in the /tools/Mac OS X DMG/README doco, I think
>>> creating all the other installers should be part of the release being
>>> voted. Note that the installer works well, and teh version it installs
>>> doe snot have teh same problem I faced upper.
>> We have issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-1022, but
>> to be honest I'm not very motivated to generate the installers.
>>
>> * I'm not sure if generation of .dmg works well on Linux
> They do work well.
>> * Generating .dmg, .deb, .rpm, .exe requries native tools
> Yes. I do have them.
>
>> * It costs time to create an maintain those installer scripts. Should we
>> reuse installers-maven-plugin from ApacheDS?
> T einstallers are prettty basic.
>
>> * The additional .deb and .exe (32 bit and 64 bit) increase the release
>> by another 480 MB
>
> true.
>> * The installers need to be tested (in theory .deb and .rpm can be
>> automated...)
> Well, we offer installers for convenience.
>

>> The Tycho build now nicely generates zip/tgz for Linux/Mac/Windows out
>> of the box on all platforms. I think our users don't need installers but
>> can unpack a zip/tgz.
>
> I think another approach would be to exclude installers from the vote. I
> can generate them and push them, as I have all the necessary native code
> to do that for all the platforms.

Regarding Mac: I was able to build the the Mac DMG installer on my Mac .
That was pretty straight forward. When I "install" it by drag-n-drop to
"Applications" folder the result in
/Applications/ApacheDirectoryStudio.app is the same as if I just open
the Zip and drag-n-drop the ApacheDirectoryStudio.app to Applications
folder. Both variants work on my Macbook without the need to modify
Info.plist or ApacheDirectoryStudio.ini. I don't understand how the
installer makes the difference.

Regarding Windows: I installed nsis 2.5.1, but when running the
windows_installer.nsi I get error:
!include: could not find: "AdvUninstLog.nsh"
Error in script "windows_installer.nsi" on line 40 -- aborting creation
process

I have neither the time nor the patience to continue figuring out how
build the installers. Probably it's best if you take over the release. I
think 90% the release steps are documented in the readme, if you
struggle I'm available to help.

Kind Regards,
Stefan