directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Zheng, Kai" <kai.zh...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Rethinking Mavibot...
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2016 12:56:46 GMT
Yeah. It sounds like a great choice to consider https://github.com/deephacks/lmdbjni. It's
still in updating. Would we proceed on this?

Anyway, will play around it this week and see if any concerns.

Regards,
Kai

-----Original Message-----
From: Shawn McKinney [mailto:smckinney@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2016 9:10 PM
To: Apache Directory Developers List <dev@directory.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Rethinking Mavibot...

> On Jun 27, 2016, at 7:29 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Here is what I would suggest :
>
> - LMDB is an obvious candidate if we want to use something that
> exists, and which is proven to work.
> - There are a coupld of existing bindings for LMDB :
> https://github.com/deephacks/lmdbjni,
> https://github.com/chirino/lmdbjni
> (which is 3 years old)
> - We need to ensure that we have a build for Linux, Windows an MacOSX.
> A project like https://github.com/deephacks/lmdb might help
>
> We also need someone wanting to play around the idea.

This is a good discussion.

I agree with Kai, having a good and stable backend / database is critical to this project’s
future.  OTOH Emmanuel’s point that we’re open source (volunteers) is an obvious inhibiting
factor.

So, do we have SWAG’s for the number of hours required for both approaches, i.e. apacheds
w/ LMDB or Mavibot?

If we can have an apacheds & lmdb release in a few weeks, where mavibot might take many
months, it might be worth a shot.  Otherwise we should stay the course and not get sidetracked.

(my two cents)

Shawn