directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Zheng, Kai" <kai.zh...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Rethinking Mavibot...
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2016 10:33:04 GMT
Yes, I agree. Is it possible to be a lightweight wrapper on top of the plugined DB enginene,
for example, we wouldn't need to support the transaction stuffs by ourselves? Is there any
LDAP-centric engine already or allowing to do the mapping very directly?

Regards,
Kai

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Chu [mailto:hyc@symas.com]
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2016 6:15 PM
To: Apache Directory Developers List <dev@directory.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Rethinking Mavibot...

Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> Le 27/06/16 à 08:07, Zheng, Kai a écrit :
>> Thanks for the update.
>>
>> It looks like to me there is much work to do. Is there any alternative option? I'm
still thinking that if we could leverage any existing back end implementation, so we could
focus on the LDAP specific logic for the master server component...this is worth being considered
because in today's industry there are so many B-TREE's implementations already.
> I think we already discussed that matter months ago. I also think that
> many don't understand why we *need* somthing like Mavibot. But let me
> try to explain again...

As an aside, there are two things going on here - you need both an underlying DB engine, and
you need an LDAP-centric "backend" on top of it. Even if you tried to plug in an off-the-shelf
DB engine, you still need to implement the backend that uses it.

--
   -- Howard Chu