directory-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn McKinney <smckin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Directory Fortress 1.0-RC42
Date Sat, 12 Mar 2016 11:13:45 GMT

> On Mar 9, 2016, at 8:54 AM, Shawn McKinney <smckinney@apache.org> wrote:
>
> The distributions are available for download:
> http://home.apache.org/~smckinney/
>
> If you are to test, you may follow either one of these README’s, located in the root
folder of the core:
> 1. Test with Apache Directory Server: https://github.com/apache/directory-fortress-core/blob/master/README-TEN-MINUTE-GUIDE.md
> 2. Test with OpenLDAP Directory Server: https://github.com/apache/directory-fortress-core/blob/master/README-QUICKSTART-SLAPD.md
>
> For either you must substitute this step:
> Clone the directory-fortress repos from apache git by commands:
>
> with this one:
> extract that particular component's source-release package
>
> after that instructions should be the same.

The fact that we’re now 70 hours in w/out a response tells me one of two things.  Either
nobody’s interested, or the test procedures are too hard / confusing.  I choose the latter.

That’s understandable, there are four components, two of which are web components, which
require tomcat to be installed.  The documentation could certainly be better too.

Let’s step back here.  If you want to help, you may test the core - only.  It’s the most
important piece and actually pretty easy to test with apacheds.

- You will need to do steps one and three in the 10 minute guide:
https://directory.apache.org/fortress/gen-docs/latest/apidocs/org/apache/directory/fortress/core/doc-files/ten-minute-guide.html

• Setup Apache Directory Server
• Build Apache Fortress Core

- If your apacheds is running with defaults, e.g. on localhost, port 10389, you won’t have
to change any of the settings in fortress’ build.properties file.

- During the 'Build Apache Fortress Core', you may use any client to import fortress ldap
schema.
https://github.com/apache/directory-fortress-core/blob/master/ldap/schema/apacheds-fortress.ldif

- You’re done once you’ve run those junit tests:
mvn test -Dtest=FortressJUnitTest

Eventually the junit tests should run automatically during 'mvn install' against an embedded
apacheds.

<soapbox>
Running the core junit test against apacheds is a good test for the server as well.  Over
the years many bugs found both within openldap and apachds.  Also tests ldap api.

It loads thousands of objects into database and performs many more thousands of interrogations.
 Running the junit test a second time will do a teardown, i.e. deleting objects, before loading
once again, which further stresses the system.
</soapbox>

If you have any questions, you may submit them here, or on the fortress mailing list.  Your
questions will help us make this better for the next guy.

Shawn