directory-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn McKinney <smckin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fortress] Problem generating the source release distro for the realm
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2016 13:02:39 GMT

> On Mar 9, 2016, at 2:04 AM, Stefan Seelmann <mail@stefan-seelmann.de> wrote:
>
> Quick check from my side: the pom.xml of realm project (1) skips the
> maven-assembly-plugin from the apache-release profile and (2) it's own
> configuration is commented out. I'm not sure if a custom assembly
> configuration is really needed, the one provided by the Apache parent
> work most of the time, you can just try to remove the <skipAssembly>
> from pom.xml.

Set skipAssembly to false, reran the mvn release steps for realm and fortress-realm-1.0-RC42-source-release.zip
now under its target/checkout/target you like you’d want it to be.  :-)

> On Mar 9, 2016, at 2:04 AM, Stefan Seelmann <mail@stefan-seelmann.de> wrote:
>
>> One red herring:
>> I had to re-run the release for realm because I had inadvertently run mvn clean before
uploading.  This created yet another staging repo on nexus that I have yet to close.  I doubt
this had anything to do with this problem but worth mentioning.

> No problem, just drop the 1st repo and close the 2nd repo.

I failed to mention before that nexus groups components into single staging repos.  Appears
to be time based, i.e. components of the same group released within so many minutes are staged
together.  Repo 1081 now has core, realm, web.  Repo 1082 has rest.  If I drop 1081, I must
rerun the other releases.  I don’t know how to drop specific content from a repo.

> On Mar 9, 2016, at 2:04 AM, Stefan Seelmann <mail@stefan-seelmann.de> wrote:
>
> Pro tip ;): For a release I often do another clean checkout at a
> different location that I then keep untouched during release and vote.
> Then I can just continue to work on the project without deleting release
> artifacts.

Yes, I will do that next time!  Running on separate machine would be better.

> On Mar 9, 2016, at 2:04 AM, Stefan Seelmann <mail@stefan-seelmann.de> wrote:
>

> mvn site is not mandatory for the release, ask yourself if it is useful
> for users.

This an area I am still learning.  A release has the following parts:

1. binaries, sources, javadocs, distributed by maven
2. source-release packages, distributed by apache

What else is there?  And where does the 'mvn site' step fit in?

I understand that mvn site generates html pages for publishing release documentation to a
website.  But we don’t do that, nor do *I think* it’s necessary, since we have another
process.  It appears the site plugin is when the source-release package is generated.  Are
you telling me that we don’t have to generate source-release packages for every component
upon release?

My next step, due to complications mentioned, is to start over on a new machine.  I’ll upload
fresh release packages to nexus and apache home servers.  Then we’ll be ready for the vote,
finally.  :-)

Shawn