directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multi-valued RDN with same attribute allowed?
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2016 00:10:30 GMT
> Le 22/02/16 21:02, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm currently looking into DIRSTUDIO-987. The latest comment shows an
>> multi-valued RDN which uses the same attribute multiple times:
>>
>>     dn: l=eu + l=de + l=Berlin + l=Brandenburger Tor, ...
>>
>> Is that valid? Our Rdn class doesn't allow that. RFC 4512 section 2.3.1
>> doesn't forbid that.
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>> Stefan
> Hmmm...
>
> It's not that simple to implement. I can easily have the RDN accepting
> multiple AVAs with the same type, but then we need to change the
> equals() method :
>
>         Rdn rdn1 = new Rdn( schemaManager, " cn = c + cn = b " );
>         Rdn rdn2 = new Rdn( schemaManager, " cn = b + cn = c " );
>
>         assertEquals( rdn1, rdn2 );
>
> fails.
Ok, here is what I suggest :

- first, we accept a RDN with more than one AVA with the same AT (but
the value must be different).

For instance : cn=a + cn=b will be accepted, but cn=a + cn=A will be
rejected

- second, we will order the AVA by their AT first, then by their value
(assuming we have a ORDERING matching rule, of course)

currently, we order those AVA by the AVA's attributes only (because we
weren't accepting multiple AVAs with the same AT). It will not be
complicated to order the values too.

This should not be such a big change.

In any case, it deserves a JIRA.