directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Zheng, Kai" <kai.zh...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Database corruption repair tool
Date Fri, 29 Jan 2016 15:18:15 GMT
I see. Thanks for the details. Talk is easy, it's still depending on the codes and the real
work.

-----Original Message-----
From: Emmanuel Lécharny [mailto:elecharny@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2016 11:11 PM
To: Apache Directory Developers List <dev@directory.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Database corruption repair tool

Le 29/01/16 15:51, Zheng, Kai a écrit :
>>> I'm most certainly overdoing : the first step is to start the server, which is
all but a good idea. I have to simply read the configuration instead, because this is all
what I need.
> You mean it doesn't have to use or start a server to run the repair process, right.

Right. We just need to know where to find the data, and which index are to be recreated. This
is described in the configuration partition. We also have to know about the schema, thus be
able to read it.

> If so it sounds good, because purely running a repair tool against the database would
be easy to use. Later it can also be a healthy check tool.

Ideally, we should be able to start the server in repair mode. This is what we do when we
define a new index : you don't have to create the index files, it's done at startup (actually,
this is automatic, we see that an index table is missing, and we create it).

That makes me thing that a repair mode would be much simpler than starting the server with
a 'repair' parameter : it's enough to delete all the indexes, they will be recreated at startup
!!! (Actually, t won't work simply because we recreate the user index, not the system indexes,
but the idea is brillant : we just have to check the system index and rebuild them if missing...
I'll do that this week-end !)

Thanks Kai : you again proved that discussing a pb is the best way to see a better way to
deal with it :-)