directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <m...@stefan-seelmann.de>
Subject Re: Package creation for Canonical PPA ?
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2016 20:22:34 GMT
On 01/21/2016 11:09 AM, Emmanuel L├ęcharny wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> one person asked if we were to create a PPA package for Ubuntu. FTR (I
> had no idea what it was), a PPA is a Personal Package Archive
> (https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA), so basically, a repository
> that you can create and that wll contain your own packages. It may be
> useful in a company that develops their own packages, when they want to
> make them available to all their computers.
>
> IMHO, it seems totally overkilling, unless someone wants to take care of
> it and maintain it (I won't). And there is a coraletral problem : how
> will we manage to setup a correct version of Java if we provide an
> ApacheDS package ?
>
> Thoughts ?

An alternative could be to generate and publish our own Debian
repository (https://wiki.debian.org/HowToSetupADebianRepository).

Another thing I looked into loooong time ago is to bring ApacheDS and
Studio into Debian, But that was such a complex process that I gave up.
Especially Java and Eclipse base applications are difficult to bring in.

However I totally agree with you. We don't have the resources to
maintain it. We already provide a deb package for ApacheDS so I think it
is easy to install it on Ubuntu or Debian.

Kind Regards,
Stefan