directory-dev mailing list archives

From Radovan Semancik <radovan.seman...@evolveum.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache LDAP API 1.0.0-M32 release
Date Mon, 19 Oct 2015 08:30:26 GMT
On 10/19/2015 02:23 AM, Emmanuel L├ęcharny wrote:
> I think we can wait for another release, that may come quite quickly
> (I have myself some additional fixes for the LdifAnonymizer).

OK. No problem. Just let me know when the M32 release is done so I can
commit my code.

> Regarding the missing controls/extOps, here is what I would suggest :
> we could spend some time implementing a batch of the missing AD
> elements, and cut a release as soon as it's done.

Hmm, but there is a problem. It does not make much sense to implement
the controls "theoretically". They have to be tested with real AD
instances. We all know how AD "works", eh?

So I would counter-propose to implement the controls gradually when
someone needs them and someone is able to test them. This is the case
for the "Deleted" control: I need it and I have a setup to test it with
real AD instance. Yes, this specific control is trivial. But there are
quite complex controls in the AD set ...

> For controls, it's not necessarily complex, it's just a bit time
> consuming (especially the tests).

Well, yes, unit tests are a bit time consuming. But tests with real AD
are insanely time consuming as AD will not tell you what is the problem.
So, unless you already have a setup where you can test it easily I see
no point in implementing something that will not be tested.

> The only part I'm not sure of is which ones should we include and
> which ones should we ignore. I suspect we should go to the full extent
> and make the API as complete as possible...

For me it is the "Deleted" control now. Maybe SD_FLAGS a bit later.

--
Radovan Semancik
Software Architect