directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Zheng, Kai" <kai.zh...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Leveraging Kerby Kerberos library in ApacheDS
Date Fri, 31 Jul 2015 07:36:58 GMT
>> Mavibot *has* to be completed, and we must cut a 2.0 RC too
Agree, the Mavibot backend is still relying on SNAPSHOT version, which should be resolved
if we have to include it for the release.

>> One other thing we need to do in ApacheDS is to switch from our complex and crippled
ASN.1 code to use Kerby code.
Yeah this can be done separately along with the Kerberos part.

>> we can start by releasing teh ASN.1 part of Kerby, and use it in ApacheDS
I thought it may depend. If we still have a long way to go for the cut of the first release,
then better to release the ASN.1 part first for the use; but if we could get it done not too
late, then ...

>> AFAICT, Kerby is having its own code to manage communication. We depend on MINA.
If we have to get rid of MINA, that's fine.
Ah good point. It's a major issue we need to address. Since ApacheDS uses MINA I thought there
is no good not to use it for the Kerberos functionality. We may enhance kerby KDC server to
support plugin network mechanism, which needs some work, but won't be very hard.

I thought we could first focus on ApacheDS side (then Studio), attempting to use Kerby to
replace the old Kerberos codes. It's nicer to do it piece by piece and get the changes in
incrementally, but I guess some time it's hard to break down into tasks. Maybe we can have
a branch for the attempt if anyone would help with? Without some trying, something won't expose.
It may be not possible to come to the good time point when Kerby is well prepared for ApacheDS,
on the other hand, trying to do the integration work will expose some issues/enhance opportunities/adapting
things in Kerby side.

Regards,
Kai