directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 389 Directory Server support in API
Date Tue, 14 Jul 2015 12:35:35 GMT
Le 14/07/15 14:14, Pierre Smits a écrit :
> The list of competing ldap servers can be found here:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LDAP_software
>
> When doing a GTrend analysis of the top competing open source variants,
> Apache Directory Server is in the top, but the level of the name we know
> (and don't speak ;-) as it counts for them) is a goal to strive for. See
> http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=%22389%20Directory%20Server%22%2C%20%22Apache%20Directory%20Server%22%2C%20%22Red%20Hat%20Directory%20Server%22%2C%20OpenLDAP%2C%20apacheds&date=1%2F2010%2066m&cmpt=q&tz=Etc%2FGMT-2
> .
> This trend analysis is based on G searches.

Don't trust GTrend. I can tell you one thing here : AD coms first, with
around 80% of the market, then OpenLDAP is really the second contended.
Every other LDAP servers count for a few percent.

It's simply because AD is installed in every Windows Domain server, and
OpenLDAP is widely spread on Linux. Even Sun Directory never countd for
more than a few thousands installations.

But anyway, this is irrelevant : Radovan is spot on here. We have two
modes in the API, a strict mode and a relaxed mode, now, it's us to
provide the fioxes in teh API so that the relaxed mode works well for
the most frequently used servers, and also for the ones that are likely
to be used in the neear future (here, I'm talking about OpenDS/J).