directory-dev mailing list archives

From Radovan Semancik <radovan.seman...@evolveum.com>
Subject Re: 389 Directory Server support in API
Date Tue, 14 Jul 2015 11:14:48 GMT
On 07/14/2015 12:56 PM, Ludovic Poitou wrote:
> The general rule around standard support is “be flexible in what you
> accept, strict about what you produce”.
> This should apply to the LDAP APIs as well.

This is not necessarily the best option:
https://github.com/martinthomson/postel-was-wrong/blob/master/draft-thomson-postel-was-wrong.md

I think that there needs to be some balance between strictness and
tolerance. However, Apache Directory API is not widespread enough. So
even if it is strict it is unlikely that it will create enough pressure
on outdated LDAP servers. And if it will work only with ApacheDS and
OpenLDAP then it will never become widespread. So I would be inclined
towards more tolerance in the API to make it practical.

--
Radovan Semancik
Software Architect