directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Studio] Adding a org.apache.directory.studio.common.ui.dialogs package in common.ui
Date Fri, 03 Jul 2015 14:23:50 GMT
Le 03/07/15 16:06, Zheng, Kai a écrit :
> Yeah, RAP would be a choice to develop the web UI, my major concern is it may incur too
heavy overhead in the server side. I would say in today REST + BootStrap + AngularJS like
frontend  is more popular. The development is much easier to setup. No worry about JS, CSS
stuffs actually in most time.

> RCP development incurs some overhead, like the Eclipse runtime stuff, and guys have to
learn about the layout, how to draw a table, dialog and so on. The tool has to download and
install before to use. I thought Studio is good to have for a LDAP server, because it's complex.
A Kerby management console should be much simplified and easier to use, typical web UI should
be enough.

Don't underestimate the cost of developping a decent WebUI using REST,
AngularJS and CSS. IMHO, the learning curve is way, way higher. And
those who pretend to materize those 4 technos are either liars or rare.

When it comes to the runtime overhead, it's totally insignificant,
compared to the cost of a roundtrip from a client to the server. And you
start the server once, and that's it.