directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Studio] Adding a org.apache.directory.studio.common.ui.dialogs package in common.ui
Date Fri, 03 Jul 2015 13:46:40 GMT
Le 03/07/15 15:32, Zheng, Kai a écrit :
>>> Btw, at some point in the future, we will have to think abput developping a plugin
for Kerby :-)
> Ah, you mean the management tool? That sounds good! An alternative is, web management
console, one important reason to consider is, web developer contributors are more, and Eclipse
based RCP developers are much less...
> I do think a modern web management console for Kerby would be a unique feature to attract
users, easy to deploy and use. Think?

We are discussing about using RAP, which is a web version of RCP (RCP is
the eclipse rich client). The interface would be the same than with a
rich client, except that it will be a WEB UI. You kill two birds with
one stone.

Now, yes, finding WebUI developers is easier, but OTOH, developping teh
GUI in eclipse is not *that* complex. I started 3 months ago, and I'm
now quite efficient at it. I would rather say that once you are used to
it, it's easier than fighting with CSS, JS, different flavors of
Browser, etc, because that is an eternel and excruciating pain, which
only increase.

More than that, I'm sure Stefan or me are willing to help someone who
would like to start coding in Eclipse RCP.