directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <m...@stefan-seelmann.de>
Subject Re: [Studio] OpenLDAP config editor status
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2015 20:19:15 GMT
On 06/11/2015 12:28 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> a quick heads up on what's going on for the OpenLDAP Config editor,
> which is scheduled for the next Studio release
>
> o The global configuration design is almsot completed. There are now 4
> of the 6 pages that are working :
> - 'overview' which deal with general parameters
> - 'database' was already working fine
> - 'security' has just been completed. It covers all the general security
> parameters (SASL, TLS, and a few other parameters)
> - 'Tuning' is completed. It covers the parameters that can be tuned
> (limits, concurrency, indexes...)

Phew, this is so much boilerplate code to create all the sections and
widgets and to listen to modifications and do verifications etc. I
didn't implement such editors since years, but wonder if there are
simpler (or elegant) ways like automatic data binding between the model
and UI elements.

> o The Options page has to be added, it covers 15 parameters (currently,
> only 4 are covered)
>
> o Some issue has to be fixed when we try to save the config. This is due
> to some delta being computed with some modify being sent when they
> should not. I will review the full process this week. Hopefully, I'll
> get something working soon.

Not sure if this is helpful, or if they can be combined, but we have 3
code parts the compute diffs of entires:
* PartitionsDiffComputer in openldap.config.editor
* PartitionsDiffComputer in apacheds.config
* Utils.computeDiff() in ldapbrowser.core

> Next steps :
> ------------
>
> o Have a way to save the configuration into a LDIF file, if we are not
> connected to an OpenLDAP server
> o Have a way to read the configuration from a LDIF file, if we are not
> connected to an OpenLDAP server
> o Check the Databases configuration. There are missing parameters
> o Check the Overlays configuration. A dedicated page has to be added for
> that
> o ACLs editor should be accessible in the configuration
>

> Wishes :
> --------
>
> o It would be good to be able to save a configuration locally, to be
> able to revert to it if necessary (à la SVN)

Two ideas:
* We can include jgit/egit into Studio, that is a full git
implementation in Java and for Eclipse
* If Mavibot would support transactions/versions this may also be an
option to use

> o A delta between two configurations would be good to have then
> o A defautt configuration should exist, so that we can revert back to it
>
> Lot's of thing to do, as you can see, but still, good progress too.
>
> Thanks !

Thanks for the update.