directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Kerby release
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2015 12:17:01 GMT
Le 04/06/15 02:38, Zheng, Kai a écrit :
> Thanks Colm and Emmanuel for the thoughts and help!
>
>>> The numering scheme we use for ApacheDS is a bit complex and its history is long...
> The very good history and I see why. Maybe we could have a major release like 2.0.0 claiming
no backward support?

Considering that we already don't support 1.0, it's clear that 2.0 will
not provide any backward support ;-)

>>> Keep in mind that we release sources ! Now, you can also build some convenient
packages, but this will be a side product.
> I see. So as Colm explained, maybe we could have some container modules for such convenient
packages?

Ok, let me be a bit clearer : we should absolutely focus on sources, but
we *can* provide binaries ! Actually, this is what we do.

The way to do it is to have special Maven prodiles to build all the
packages you want.

>>> I can definitively give a hand, as I have been releasing most of the other projects
for years now...
> This really sounds great to me. I'm much confident now, with your taking and also Colm's
help. I will try my best for the release in the following.

> So for next step, we will need a master JIRA for the release, and a target version (1.0-RC1
?).
I can create those versions in JIRA. The problem is that we already have
existing version for Kerberos :
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRKRB/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:versions-panel

Which is a bit strange considering we never ever released any Kerberos
code !

I think it's related to the ApacheDS releases. I will remove those versions.

I think we need a 1.0.0-RC1, a 1.0.0-GA (for the final version), and a
2.0.0 version for future changes. Is that fine ?

>  I would help sort out all the issues in the question for us to discuss and determine
further. For each one desired for the release, we would ensure assignment and commitment in
some certain time with higher priority, as Colm proposed initially in this thread. Sound good
to go?

Atm, what I'd like to have is a release on one of the core Kerby
component : ASN.1. We can use that as an exercise, and I'd like to use
it in ApacheDS, as a separate module.

Wdyt ?