directory-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Manes <ben.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Mavibot] Need for a cache to replace the WeakReferences...
Date Mon, 25 May 2015 23:11:42 GMT
I stumbled upon an old thread [1] regarding Mavibot's cache experiments. In
that thread the project was moving away from weak reference based caching
and had poor performance with Ehcache. A follow up discussion [2] mentioned
experimenting with ConcurrentLinkedHashMap (my old project), but drops off
before describing the results. As it appears Ehcache is used, it is not
clear whether the performance problems were resolved or deemed not fixable.

In case there is still a bottleneck in the caching layer you may be
interested in my Java 8 caching project, Caffeine [3]. My benchmarks show
it to be 7x faster on a 4-core machine and should scale better as the CPU
count increases.

Hope that helps,
Ben

[1] http://osdir.com/ml/dev-directory-apache/2013-09/msg00038.html